Skip to main content

Financial Aid at San Joaquin Valley College

Paying for college can be an important investment in your future. Here’s how we can help and resources to get you into the classroom and on the path to success.

How Much Does it Cost to Attend SJVC?

SJVC offers a wide variety of certificate programs and degree options at 17 locations throughout California as well as online. Tuition costs will vary depending on your course of study, location, credential awarded, and time to complete. For example, a program that requires two years of study resulting in an Associate Degree will cost more than a one-year program resulting in a certificate.

All tuition information can be found in the SJVC College Catalog. The Net Price Calculator can give you insight into the costs of attending San Joaquin Valley College and how financial aid, for which you might be eligible, can help offset some of the cost. The Net Price Calculator is designed to provide a rough estimate of financial aid and is only as accurate as the data entered into it.

Different Ways to Pay For College

Everyone’s path to paying for college is different and thankfully there are many resources to help. According to the U.S. Department of Education National Center for Education Statistics, 79% of first-time, full-time degree/certificate-seeking undergraduate students at 2-year postsecondary institutions were awarded some type of financial aid in academic year 2018-19.

Typically, payment options fall into:

  • Grants: Money that does not need to be paid back and is usually awarded based on financial need
  • Loans: Borrowed money to help pay for education that will need to be repaid over time
  • Scholarships: Monetary awards that do not need to be paid back, but may have different requirements outside of financial need

On this page, find out if you may qualify for state, federal, or private student aid, such as:

  • Federal Pell Grants
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG) Grants
  • Scholarships
  • Loans
  • Institutional Loans
  • Federal Work-Study Program
  • Veteran Educational Benefits
  • Institutional Payment Plans
  • Private Lender Alternative Loans

Take The First Step

On-campus and online programs are waiting. Take the first step toward your future and speak to an enrollment services representative.

Federal Grants

Federal grants are awarded by the U.S. government to students who show financial need. These grants do not need to be repaid.

Federal Pell Grant Program

The Federal Pell Grant is an important source of aid for students who demonstrate financial need.

Pell grant award amounts can change yearly. The maximum Federal Pell Grant award is $6,495 for the 2021–22 award year. Awards are based on financial need as well as your:

  • Expected family contribution
  • Cost of attendance (determined by your school for your specific program)/li>
  • Status as a full-time or part-time student
  • Plans to attend school for a full academic year or less

To learn more about Federal Pell Grants visit

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)

Each year SJVC makes a limited number of awards to students through the Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant program. These funds are targeted to those students who have the lowest calculated family income.

FSEOG grants are federally funded grants that are disbursed through the SJVC financial aid office. You can receive between $100 and $4,000 a year, depending on your financial need, when you apply, the amount of other aid you get, and the availability of funds. These funds do not need to be repaid.

Learn more about the FSEOG program at and contact SJVC’s financial aid office to learn more.


Loans are borrowed funds to pay for educational expenses. Both the Department of Education and private financial institutions offer educational loans. The terms of these loans vary by lender, amount, and qualifying factors such as credit score. Federal student loans terms and conditions are set by law, and include benefits such as fixed interest rates and income-driven repayment plans that are not typically offered with private loans.

Private financial loan terms vary by lender, amount, and qualifying factors such as credit score.

There are three main types of federal loans:

  • Subsidized federal loans
  • Unsubsidized federal loans
  • Parent loans

Federal Direct Stafford Loans Subsidized

The Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford Loan is a government-issued loan for students demonstrating financial need. Because the loan is subsidized, the U.S. government agrees to pay the interest on the loan:

  • While enrolled in school at least half-time
  • The first six months after you leave school
  • During a period of deferment

Students who do not qualify for a Subsidized Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan may apply for additional Federal Direct Stafford Loans.

Federal Direct Stafford Loans Unsubsidized

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans are available for all students, regardless of financial need, and must be repaid. Because the loans are unsubsidized, students are responsible for all interest accrued on the loan.

Federal Direct PLUS

The Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) program allows parents of dependent students to borrow federal money to pay for their child’s education. Eligibility depends on creditworthiness and other general criteria. The maximum PLUS loan amount a parent can borrow is the cost of attendance minus any other financial assistance the student receives. The cost of attendance is determined by the school.

Private Student Loans

Private student loans are non-federal loans made by a lender such as a bank, credit union, state agency, or a school. These loans need to be repaid and do not have standardized interest rates, repayment plans, or award amounts.

Learn more about the differences between federal and private loans at

SJVC Institutional Finance Plans

SJVC offers low interest financing plans. These plans may be used only to pay tuition charges not covered by financial aid. Students should check with the Financial Aid Office for repayment options and application requirements.

SJVC Student Scholarships

SJVC awards up to $40,000 annually in scholarships to high school seniors who meet certain requirements. High school seniors should inquire with their high school counseling office or career center for information about an SJVC scholarship application, or they may contact the nearest SJVC campus.

Veterans Administration (VA) Benefits

The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs offers tuition benefits for military members, spouses and children. If you believe you are eligible for Veterans Administration (VA) benefits or have any questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office at your local campus. You may also get information on the SJVC programs that are approved for VA funding through the VA’s WEAMS Institution Search tool:

Scholarships & Resource Information

Review the following websites for scholarship opportunities and additional resources to help fund your education.

Ready to Do This?

Demand is projected to grow for health care professionals.

How to Apply for Financial Aid

While the process of applying for financial aid may vary depending on type of aid, lending or awarding institution, or other factors, oftentimes the first step is filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®).

For private loans, scholarships, or other awards, check with the provider’s website and follow application processes.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®)

The FAFSA® is a central document that can help students apply for assistance for a number of programs, including SJVC financial aid, federal student aid, and Cal Grant programs. The purpose of the FAFSA® is to determine the amount of assistance for which students are eligible. FAFSA® data such as income, assets, the number of family members in a household, and the number of family members who are enrolled in college are used to calculate eligible aid.

To fill out the FAFSA® form you will want to:

  • Create an FSA ID: This username and password combination allows you to sign your FAFSA® form electronically. Your FSA ID also can also be used to log in to other Department of Education online services such as and myStudentAid app; and access loan contracts, entrance and exit loan counseling, and detailed financial aid award information.
  • Gather important documents: The FAFSA® will ask for identifying and financial information. Before filling out the form make sure you have your social security number, your parents’ social security numbers, federal tax information for you and/or your parents, or spouse if your married, and information on cash and assets such as property, and more. Be sure to keep these records handy as you may need them again.

FAFSA® forms are available online on Oct. 1 for the next school year. Students may come in person to their respective Campus Financial Aid Office to complete the FAFSA® or renewal. These forms can also be completed online at In order to complete the application, the applicant must include SJVC’s federal school code, 014741.

What Happens Next?

Upon submission of the FAFSA®, students will be sent a Student Aid Report (SAR). The SAR should be checked for accuracy and any necessary corrections should be made as soon as possible. Once the SAR has been determined to be complete, a financial aid calculation letter will be generated for the student which will state the student need (education cost), family contribution, amount of grants awarded, and the amount of loan monies available, if needed.

To receive unsubsidized or subsidized loan funds, students must complete a Master Promissory Note. Funds are then disbursed by the Student Accounts Manager, as described in the Award Letter. To receive Plus loan funds, parents must complete a Plus Master Promissory Note.

​​A Financial Services Advisor will review students financial aid files for accuracy and completion. A completed file may consist of a FAFSA®, loan entrance counseling, master promissory note, and other SJVC FA forms. Students may also be required to submit additional financial information such as taxes and household data if selected for verification by the Department of Education.

Tips on Repaying Student Loans

The U.S. Department of Education has many resources available to help you manage the repayment of your student loans.

They provide information on:

Learn more about paying your student loans at

Financial Aid FAQ

What is financial aid?

Financial aid refers to any funds available to you and/or your parents to help offset the cost of higher education. These funds can come from private, government or institutional resources.

Who should apply for financial aid?

You should apply for financial aid if you need assistance with the cost of higher education. You are eligible to apply regardless of your income level. Financial aid is available to those who qualify.

What is the FAFSA®?

The FAFSA® is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid that you must complete if you wish to apply for financial aid. This application can be accessed online using this link:

What is the verification process?

Verification is the process the college follows to confirm the accuracy of the information you reported on your FAFSA®. If your application is selected for verification by the Department of Education, the college will contact you to request additional information, such as copies of your and your parent(s)/spouse’s (if you are married) Federal Tax forms or W-2 forms or other financial documents.

Am I considered a dependent or independent student?

It depends. You must answer a series of dependency questions outlined by the Department of Education. Answers you provide will determine if you’re considered to be an independent or dependent student for federal student aid purposes. If you are independent, you do not have to provide information about your parents on the FAFSA®. If you are dependent, you must provide information about your parents on the FAFSA®.

What do I need to do to keep getting financial aid while I’m a student?

You must successfully complete course work and meet satisfactory academic progress in your program of study to receive and maintain your eligibility for financial aid. Also, Financial aid plans need to be updated every academic year.

Where am I going to get most of the money to pay for college?

Most students get most of their funding from Federal financial aid to cover program costs. If financial aid does not cover your program costs in full, then you must select a secondary (or alternative) option to cover your remaining balance.

What other options do I have to pay for college?

Other resources to pay for college include institutional finance plans, private loans, employer tuition reimbursement, military education benefits, local, community and private organizations, and scholarships or grants.

Who do I contact if I change my address or telephone number?

Notify your campus in writing within 10 days of any changes. If you have obtained federal student loans and need to notify your loan servicer of your new address, you should contact the loan servicer directly to make the change.

Request Information

Step 1 of 2

* Required Field


FAFSA® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Education.

Student loans, grants, and scholarships are available for those who qualify.