Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Financial Aid Questions

What is financial aid?

Financial aid refers to any funds available to you and/or your parents to help offset the cost of higher education. These funds can come from private, government or institutional resources.

Who should apply for financial aid?

You should apply for financial aid if you need assistance with the cost of higher education. You are eligible to apply regardless of your income level. Financial aid is available to those who qualify.

What is the FAFSA?

The FAFSA is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid that you must complete if you wish to apply for financial aid. This application can be accessed online using this link:

What is the verification process?

Verification is the process the college follows to confirm the accuracy of the information you reported on your FAFSA. If your application is selected for verification by the Department of Education, the college will contact you to request additional information, such as copies of your and your parent(s)/spouse’s (if you are married) Federal Tax forms or W-2 forms or other financial documents.

Am I considered a dependent or independent student?

It depends. You must answer a series of dependency questions outlined by the Department of Education. Answers you provide will determine if you’re considered to be an independent or dependent student for federal student aid purposes. If you are independent, you do not have to provide information about your parents on the FAFSA. If you are dependent, you must provide information about your parents on the FAFSA.

What do I need to do to keep getting financial aid while I’m a student?

You must successfully complete course work and meet satisfactory academic progress in your program of study in order to receive and maintain your eligibility for financial aid. Also, Financial aid plans need to be updated every academic year.

Where am I going to get most of the money to pay for college?

Most students get the majority of their funding from Federal Financial Aid to cover program costs. If financial aid does not cover your program costs in full, then you must select a secondary (or alternative) option to cover your remaining balance.

What other options do I have to pay for college?

Other resources to pay for college include institutional loans, employer tuition reimbursement, military education benefits, local, community and private organizations, and scholarship or grants.

Who do I contact if I change my address or telephone number?

Notify your college in writing within 10 days of any changes. If you have obtained federal student loans and need to notify your loan servicer of your new address, you should contact the loan servicer directly to make the change

Financial Aid at San Joaquin Valley College

Paying for college can be an important investment in your future. Here’s how we can help and resources to get you into the classroom and on the path to success.