SJVC’s Medical Office Administration certificate program prepares graduates to work in front-office positions for a medical practice, healthcare facility or insurance company.
About the Program
What Will I Learn?
Medical secretaries have a range of clerical duties and responsibilities1, including:
- Maintain medical facility records
- Enter patient data into computers
- Process medical billing information and insurance claims
- Schedule patient procedures or appointments
- Transcribe dictation
- Prepare reports or articles for physicians or medical scientists.
- Arrange for patients to be hospitalized
Career-Focused Medical Office Classes
Students in SJVC’s Medical Office Administration certificate program receive the training necessary to provide basic administrative support in a variety of healthcare settings. Students in the program learn medical insurance principles, medical office operations, human relations, and medical law. Some of the medical office classes taken by our Medical Office Administration students include*:
- HCP 203: Medical Office Management – This class helps students develop the fundamental administrative and communication skills needed to work in a medical office, students will distinguish the skills needed to manage a medical office including using electronic medical software. Students will analyze legal and ethical scenarios following HIPAA regulations and how to provide excellent customer service. Students will also identify the responsibilities that come with managing an office and practice the professional behavior needed in the healthcare setting.
- MOP 130: Billing Principles – This course focuses on the procedures for billing in both hospital and clinical settings. Students will identify a variety of source documents used in billing, compare and complete the forms used in hospitals and offices, analyze the revenue cycles, and apply the correct codes to the different venues.
- MOP 140: ICD Coding – This course covers coding concepts associated with the International Classification of Diseases and Clinical Modification codebook. Students will practice using terminology following documentation guidelines and applying codes to various forms and documents. Keyboarding skills are also emphasized in this course.
*Course listings are subject to change. Reference the SJVC College Catalog for the most current program information about our medical office classes.
Hands-On Medical Office Training and Experience
SJVC’s Medical Office Administration certificate program is designed to help students develop the actual skills employers are looking for. An externship component exposes students to hands-on, real-world experience under the direction of a medical office manager or director in an actual healthcare setting. Externships allow students to experience what it’s like to be a medical office administrator and learn practical skills in the types of places they may work in after graduation.
Medical Office Administration Certifications and Credentials
Graduates earn an Associate of Science degree and are eligible to sit for the National Certified Medical Office Assistant (NCMOA) exam or the National Certified Insurance & Coding Specialist (NCIS) exam offered by the National Center for Competency Testing.* Graduates also earn the following certifications: HIPAA, AHA Adult & Infant CPR, and First Aid Certification*. SJVC prepares students to take appropriate certification and licensure exams related to their individual majors. The College does not guarantee students will successfully pass these exams or be certified or licensed as a result of completing the program.
Medical Office Administration Career Facts
|National Job Outlook
for Medical Secretaries
|Annual Mean Wage
for Medical Secretaries in
|Time to Complete
|16% Projected Growth Between 2018
|$42,9003||13 Campuses4||As Few as 9 to 15
SJVC’s Medical Office Administration certificate program is available at the following campuses:
- Antelope Valley (Lancaster)*
- Modesto (Salida)*
- Rancho Mirage
- Santa Maria
- Victor Valley (Hesperia)*
*These campuses offer both the Certificate of Completion and Associate of Science Degree programs.
Cost & Financial Aid
Education is the most important investment you can make in your future. There is a financial plan available for everyone, including a broad range of financial assistance options. Visit SJVC’s Net Price Calculator to get personalized information on college costs and financial aid. Check out SJVC’s Academic Catalog to learn about program costs by campus and credential level. You also can talk to an Admissions Representative to discuss the costs of your chosen program, and schedule an appointment with an experienced financial aid officer. Student loans, grants, and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
Accreditation & Approvals
San Joaquin Valley College holds dual institutional accreditations.
San Joaquin Valley College is accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC), 985 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 100, Alameda, CA 94501,(510)748-9001 and also the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges, 10 Commercial Blvd., Suite 204, Novato, CA 94949, (415) 506-0234, an institutional accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the U.S. Department of Education. Additional information about accreditation, including the filing of complaints against member institutions, can be found at www.accjc.org.
SJVC is a private institution and is approved to operate as an accredited institution by the California Bureau of Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE). Approval to operate means that SJVC has been found in compliance with the standards set forth in the California Private Postsecondary Education Act of 2009 (as amended) and Title 5, Division 7.5, – Private Postsecondary Education of the California Code of Regulations. As a prospective student, you are encouraged to review this catalog prior to signing an enrollment agreement. You are also encouraged to review the School Performance Fact Sheet, which must be provided to you prior to signing an enrollment agreement.
A student or any member of the public may file a complaint about this institution with the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education by calling (888) 370-7589 or by completing a complaint form, which can be obtained on the Bureau’s internet website (www.bppe.ca.gov).
Our RN to BSN program is a Bachelors degree completion option for Registered Nurses.
- Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Secretaries and Administrative Assistants, on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/office-and-administrative-support/secretaries-and-administrative-assistants.htm (visited January 28, 2020).
- BLS, 9-18-19: https://data.bls.gov/projections/nationalMatrix?queryParams=43-6013&ioType=o
- BLS, 9-18-19: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes436013.htm#st
- Program credential level varies by campus.