Prerequisite courses or “prereqs” are courses that must be completed prior to enrolling in specific SJVC programs or programs at another institution. Prepare to provide documentation that you have completed these prerequisite courses with your SJVC application. Not all SJVC programs have prerequisites, and prerequisite courses may vary by program. Please keep reading to learn more.
Does SJVC offer prerequisite courses?
Select SJVC campuses offer 10-week science classes and 5-week general education courses to meet prerequisite needs*. Some general education courses may also be available online. Learn more.
Which SJVC programs require prerequisite courses?
The following programs have prerequisites:
- Dental Hygiene
- Registered Nursing
What are the prerequisite courses required to enroll in SJVC’s Dental Hygiene program?
Applicants for SJVC’s Dental Hygiene program must have completed the following prerequisite courses:
- General/Inorganic Chemistry (with wet lab)
- Organic/Biochemistry (with wet lab)*
- General Microbiology (with wet lab)*
- Human Physiology (with wet lab)
- Speech/Oral Communication
- Introduction to Sociology
- Human Anatomy (with wet lab)
- Writing and Composition
- General Psychology
- Intermediate Algebra or higher (not included in the minimum GPA requirements for entry into the program)* The College will offer BIOL14 and CHE4 courses to students who meet all other program prerequisites, contingent on a sufficient number of enrollments.
Prerequisites must be completed at an institution accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education with a minimum of a “C” grade and an overall GPA of 2.75 or higher (GPA calculation excludes mathematics). Learn more about SJVC’s Dental Hygiene program.
What are the prerequisite courses required to enroll in SJVC’s Registered Nursing program?
Applicants must complete a minimum of 34 units of general education prerequisite coursework (GPA of 2.5 or higher) in the following subjects at an accredited college or university to qualify for SJVC’s Registered Nursing program:
- Human Anatomy with lab
- Microbiology with lab
- Human Physiology with lab
- General Chemistry with lab
- Writing & Composition
- Intermediate Algebra or higher
- General Psychology
- Introduction to Sociology or Cultural Anthropology
- Introduction to Public Speaking/Oral Communication
- General Education (GE) Breadth Area C2 (minimum of 3.0 units in literature, philosophy, or foreign language)2
These courses may also be offered at SJVC.
2. If the student does not have GE Area C2 units to transfer in, PHIL 1C: Ethics must be taken at SJVC.
*Completion of the program’s general education requirements at SJVC does not guarantee entry into the Dental Hygiene or Registered Nursing programs. If you intend to transfer SJVC courses to another institution, you must contact that institution directly to determine the transferability of units. Accepting transfer credits is always and only up to the receiving institution. View a complete list of SJVC articulation agreements.