SJVC’s Visalia campus offers the Registered Nursing program, which prepares students to work in the medical field as a Registered Nurse. Students learn to administer medication and treatment to patients, perform laboratory work and give diagnoses.
In addition, SJVC Visalia’s Registered Nursing program allows currently licensed Vocational Nurses to transfer credits from their LVN studies to the required course work needed for the Registered Nursing program.
Throughout SJVC’s Registered Nursing program, students will learn:
- • Med-Surg nursing
- • Geriatric & pediatric care
- • Obstetric & neonatal nursing
- • Mental health care
Graduates of the Registered Nursing program will earn an Associate of Science Degree in Nursing, and can do so in as few as 21 months. Licensed vocational nurses can often complete the core RN program in 12 months if they have completed all prerequisite courses.
Graduates are eligible to take the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nursing (NCLEX-RN), a requirement for practice as a registered nurse.
Upon completion of the program, graduates will be prepared to work as a skilled member of the healthcare team. Career opportunities include working in hospitals, private practices, clinics or home care agencies.
On the job, RNs can expect to:
- • Administer medication and treatment to patients
- • Manage and assign tasks to the health care team
- • Perform routine laboratory work
- • Assist physicians in exams and surgeries
SJVC’s Registered Nursing and LVN to RN programs are located in:
- • Visalia
View information on prerequisites and the application process.
The SJVC RN program covers necessary coursework in four 20-week terms, while the LVN to RN program covers coursework in four 12-week terms. Both are approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN). Graduates earn an Associate of Science degree and are eligible to sit for the NCLEX-RN, a requirement to work as a Registered Nurse.
The Board of Registered Nursing publishes institutional pass rate information. SJVC provides 2 instructors for every 12 students in clinical rotation, ensuring that students get the individualized attention needed to be successful in the field.
Classes are scheduled Tuesday and Thursday for lectures and lab courses, and Saturday, Sunday, or Monday for clinicals (12 hours per week*). SJVC provides 2 instructors for every 12 students in a clinical rotation.
*Limited number of weekday clinicals may be required.
San Joaquin Valley College’s RN program is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN). San Joaquin Valley College is regionally accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), an institutional accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the U.S. Department of Education.
Additional Tuition Information
- 1. Expenses do not include major medical insurance, which students must obtain and for which they must show proof of coverage.
- 2. Expenses do not include any housing, transportation, meal privileges or parking for clinical rotations.
- 3. Costs are estimates based on current available information and are subject to change.
- 4 Financial Aid is administered through the Financial Aid Offices of San Joaquin Valley College, Visalia Campus, 8344 West Mineral King Ave., Visalia, CA.
- 5. Please refer to the SJVC Catalog for withdrawal and refund policies.
RN Program Start Dates
|Cohort Start||App Deadline|
|April 1, 2014||January 17, 2014|
LVN to RN Program Start Dates
|Cohort Start||App Deadline|
|January 8, 2015||October 3, 2014|
If a degree in Registered Nursing sounds like the opportunity you’ve been looking for, please complete SJVC’s Request Information form. An Admissions Advisor will contact you soon to discuss how you can reach your career goals with SJVC.