Online Technical Requirements
- PCs should have Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 operating system.
- If a Mac is being used, please inform your admissions advisor and the necessary software will be provided to install Windows and course software in a Virtual Machine.
- Windows Update should be set to install software update automatically.
- Microsoft Office 2010 (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint) is used in the SJVC Online Computer courses. You will receive a copy of Microsoft Office with your first textbook shipment.
- Internet Explorer 10 for Windows is the only supported web browser.
- Mobile devices are not supported.
It is important that students protect their computers. It can take only a few seconds for a vulnerable machine to be attacked and compromised.
In order to safely connect and to protect your computer from risk:
- Install antivirus software.
- Set the antivirus software to update DAILY.
- Set Windows Update to install automatically.
- Avoid file sharing services, such as Limewire and Frostwire, as they act as a breeding ground for viruses and worms.
- DSL/Broadband users should set up a firewall, preferably a stand-alone device, such as a DSL/Cable router, rather than a software firewall.
DSL/Cable internet connection required. Dial up and cellular air cards are not supported.
- Computer and Processor: 1 GHz minimum, or higher
- Memory (RAM): 512 MB minimum; recommended 1 GB or higher
- Hard Drive (Storage): Minimum 80 GB Hard drive, with at least 20 GB of free space
- Optical Drive: DVD-ROM required to install software
- Operating System: Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 operating system
- Additional: Actual requirement and software functionality may vary